Post 5 - The Problem with Church Attendance

 


Post 5




Back to the Book on Deconstruction - Church Pews are Empty

One reason I bought  the book was I'd seen an acknowledgement somewhere attached to it that the church pews in Canada are emptying. This emptying started during the pandemic for many churches and people aren't returning. 

I know my reasons for spotty church attendance, but I wanted to learn more. To be honest, as I read about the deconstruction journey of those interviewed, I feel angered. Their reasons feel self-serving. But I can't pretend to know their life experiences. So I must wade through the waters of this river bed with empathy not judgment. 



My Reasons For Backing Away 

I understand what has been written, but my reasons for stepping away from church are different. 

A major factor for us has been my increased struggle with Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) which makes it hard to get up, get ready, and attend a Sunday morning service. 


Start of my Fatigue

I started noticing the increased fatigue when I lived in Winnipeg and was teaching preschool Sunday School every second week during the school year. I was committed to the task, taking around six hours to prepare for my turn. But one Sunday morning, as I was putting my materials and gear into the back of my van, a wave of exhaustion hit me. It was more than just being tired, and I hated it.

I wondered, "Why can't I be a morning person, like most people?" 

I just wanted to crawl back into bed. I realized I could no longer keep my commitment to my volunteer teaching role. It was time to back away.



After the pandemic, I still didn't know I was dealing with ME/CFS but new I didn't want to force myself to attend a morning church service especially once realizing the same could be had online. But, I missed the sense of community so searched extensively online for a church that might offer services at some time other than 10 or 11 am. I found none.

I may be naive, but I don't understand why churches have massive real estate investments and their facilities are, more or less, under used.





A Desire to Withdraw and Give Up 

As I continued my search, I realized that something about my own desire to return to sitting in a pew didn’t feel right. Was it about more than the time of day? I wondered whether this book would help shed some light on that feeling.

I suspect the waning desire has to do with much of what I've shared above and also reasons I've read in the book. Watching what so many American churches are doing for political gain has been offputting. Seeing social media updates announcing arrest after arrest of pedophiles who were church employees has been troubling. Reading about more pastors being pulled from churches due to sexual sin has been shocking. It's not about one specific turnoff, it's a multitude of issues affecting many of us. 

But for my husband and I who have been in church for so long now (we're now seniors), it's more like we have heard it all. Messages are repetitious especially to my husband who almost has a photographic memory and can tell me Biblical details that make my jaw drop. 





Comments