Post 8 - Are You Part of a Denomination?


POST 8 

Are You Part of a Denomination?

A rose dropping its petals. 
There's a season for everything.

Are you deconstructing your faith tradition? Are you contemplating changing from the church denomination of your upbringing? Do you even attend a church? Or are you being the church by loving and serving others outside the walls of a church building? 

I came across a talk  online the other night by one of my former pastors. Although his pastorate ended due to infidelity years ago, and he doesn't qualify to be a pastor any longer, (similar to many who have gone this direction; and the numbers are many), his natural gift of communication remains evident, and from what I can tell, his message reflects that he still has a heart for winning souls. I can only assume the church he spoke at, under the title of "Mr.," recognized that gift.

However, this blog is not about this former pastor but about something meaningful he shared.




I won't quote him word for word but will summarize: at the 24:00-minute mark of this audio, he pointed out that every single denomination in Canada that calls itself Christian—with only one exception—is declining and hasn’t grown in years. The one denomination that is growing is actually not a denomination at all. It’s the group that says, “I have no denomination.” It’s the belief system that claims, “I have no belief.” This group, which believes mainly in themselves, allegedly, makes up about 30% of the country.

That I came across this random talk last night, is not so random. I asked for God to give me a new project to work on and he seems to be confirming my new project of discussing changes in the church. 


Queen Anne's Lace
Wild Carrot

I am not of the group that has no beliefs. Mine are firmly rooted. But the phrase "I have no denomination" stung a little. We have been part of Baptist, Pentacostal, and non-denominational churches. But over the last 11 months, we have not gone to any in-person church--not even at Christmas or Easter. Now that's a first for us!

Interestingly, I go to a community run exercise class held at a United Church. One day, a woman asked if I was a member of that church. I simply replied, "No." In the past, I might have explained which church I did attend, but I realized my situation would take too long to explain.

In that moment, I felt a bit like I had no denomination or even a church to speak of. I know I don't have to justify myself, but after all these years of being involved in church, I also don't want to be mistaken for someone who’s drifted away from faith or someone who needs the Lord. If the topic comes up again, I hope I can clarify that I am simply a Christ-follower.


At this time in my life, I'm dedicated to nurturing my soul in ways other than attending formal church services where expectations abound. I consider this my personal journey in my own proverbial canoe with twists and turns and a sense of home in my heart. 

I like to read works by other believers. I exchange thoughts with other believers online. Pointedly, the two women in my exercise group who asked me about the church don’t use Facebook or, from what I gather, any other social media like I do. That’s where I tend to find my sense of community these days.




A good point to remember is this: 

We aren't called to be like other Christians,

We aren't called to be like the world,

We are called to be like Christ. 








Sedum Atumn Joy in full display.














Comments