Post 11 - Setting Boundaries on Highly Volatile Issues

 Post 11 


Portaging may require i navigate obstacles.

Setting Boundaries on Highly Volatile Issues

I want to preface what I'm about to say with this: God knows my heart, and He isn't disappointed in me for wrestling with this topic. He doesn't label me homophobic though others might. 

Let e remind you, none of us have it all figured out, and we all have the freedom to think, question, and express what we believe or feel in our heart. Yes, even if you disagree with what I say, (and some will strongly disagree), that doesn't negate my freedom to share my thoughts transparently. 


This topic of deconstruction is uncomfortable for me, and I recognize that no one can promise to be completely nonjudgmental. In Chapter 23 of the book, it suggests we forgive and fully embrace the LGBTQ+ community in our church. But I struggle with being told I have to do this in a certain way.

I acknowledge that people in sexual minorities have souls needing nourishment, just like anyone else. However, I also feel frustrated by the constant presence of their lifestyle being pushed in every part of our culture. It’s hard to escape—whether in media, TV, or public spaces. To me, what people do behind closed doors should stay private. Isn't that more respectful?



Personal Boundaries

There are certain topics where I've drawn mental boundaries. I don’t claim to understand everything, and I have some biases that remain. I tend to just put some topics off the discussion table. They are too unsettling to my fragile mind. I believe in protecting my mind.

I believe everyone has the right to their values and beliefs, and just as a gay person may not want to attend a conservative church, I’m not inclined to attend a church that actively affirms what I'm not comfortable with. If a church tries to grow by embracing the LGBTQ+ community but risks losing members like me, it could be a zero-sum game.

I interact with people from the LGBTQ+ community everywhere I go as, many do. That’s not the issue for me. In fact, one instructor at my gym waves a rainbow flag on her car. I don’t judge her for it; it's simply a lifestyle and belief system that feels very different from my own. 

God gives us the freedom to choose, and I believe that these choices, including how we view issues of identity, are between us and Him. It is him we give accountability to one day. This topic doesn’t need to be a matter that divides entire churches or communities.


The coneflowers have deconstructed.


What Business is it to You? 

When I read the advice mentioned above in this book, I found myself thinking, “No, that’s not my focus.” I’m not here to adopt the latest social trends or conform to what’s politically correct. I’m called to love others as best I can—though I’m not perfect at it. My goal is to follow Jesus as my model, not the changing standards of the world.

This prompt says things well. Sometimes the best thing to do is not think, wonder, imagine and obsess, but to have faith everything is working out according to God's plan. At least, that's how I retain my sanity. 


God is still in control.
I look to God, not man.



My Guidance System 

I know a trend these days is not to say, "Well the Bible says..." (can you believe it?) A trend is to not quote actual scripture when writing as well, but to paraprhase it. But there are times and places where sharing scripture is best. It is powerful. And these are some verses that I use to help me come to terms with some of these difficult topics. 

My best answer, especially as it relates to a woman's right to her decisions (abortion) and the transgender/gay issues, is reflected in these Scriptures: 


2 Corinthians 5:10 (NIV):

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad."

 

Romans 14:12 (NIV):

"So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God."


These passages highlight the individual responsibility all have before God and encourages personal accountability for choices and actions.

This is the side I take when following American politics and seeing how many Christians want to vote based on their feelings against these issues. My feeling is the government should not be attempting to regulate these things. As some have said, the government needs to stay out of the bedroom and doctor's office. And, the authors of the book can suggest we repent and hug the gays, but the choice is ultimately ours. 

Each person is accountable to God for their choices. 

 

 

Post shared on Facebook by 
Mindful Christianity
Oct 10, 2024






Comments