Post 2 - Address Your Assumptions


A milkweed turning colour.
There are beginnings, and then there are ends.

POST 2

ADDRESS YOUR ASSUMPTIONS

I feel as though I should start this blog gently and clear the air even before we get in deeper on this topic of Deconstruction in Christian circles. 

I know all too well that Christians can be sensitive to certain topics and, pointedly, this topic of Deconstruction

Many of us were raised in environments where thinking was often black and white, wrong and right. Yes, we learned about sins and God's commandments in the Bible. Of course, we should abide by them. But black and white thinking can be problematic. My own mental health therapist challenged me to rewrite my thoughts into grey to help me work through some depression and anxiety issues I was dealing with at one time. 

Black and white thinking can also be a problem when used incorrectly as a measuring device in our circle of relationships. Let me share a recent example. 

I was recently criticized by a Christian when I shared my gym coach's Youtube programs link. She replied on social media that there was a reference to Yoga on the page. She told me to "be careful about that class!" I couldn't bring myself to read what else she had written, I simply deleted my post. I don't like feeling like I have to explain myself and I don't like conflict. 




I assure you, by my age (technially a senior), I can manage my choices well on my own without a person I've never met scolding me on Facebook. I found her comment disappointing and offensive. I actually said to myself, "I can't deal with this type of Christian any longer!"

I have a very rigid sister who I gave a certain book to as a gift for her 65th birthday years ago. I wrapped it and sent it by mail. At first, she loved it. And later, I was sent a message telling me someone in her church pointed out that book is BAD. She was told it twists the gospel and she would no longer be reading it. I was disappointed with her unloving and offbase response about my gift. I have the same book and continue to read it.

These are the kinds of black and white thinking and scolding that turns even Christians off Christianity. 



Let me clarify about the Yoga comment above. My exercise coach does NOT teach us Yoga. In class, and in his videos, he sometimes demonstrates the differences between a strength movement, a stretch movement, and what might be considered a Yoga movement. That's about it.  

Personally, I’ve practiced Yoga from a young age. For me, it was always about the physical benefits—stretching, moving my body, and improving blood flow. It became part of my bedtime routine to help me relax and sleep better, and I always told myself it was something I’d continue doing. To me, Yoga simply means movement and stretching, nothing more. I don’t practice transcendental meditation, and no one needs to warn me about it.


Cone flowers turned to seed.

Self-Protection Mode

If you're thinking that by discussing the topic of Deconstruction I’m aligning with dissenters or critics of the faith, that’s not the case. Each person who isn't showing up in church these days has their own reasons, and we need to understand that everyone’s journey looks different.

Starting this blog off, I feel the need to protect myself from potential misunderstandings. Please don’t jump to conclusions about where this blog is headed. 

Some might see the topic I’m addressing and immediately assume I’m "one of those people" choosing culture over the Bible. (This feels similar to the sharp divides in the U.S. between Republicans and Democrats—where emotions run high on both sides. When I disagree with someone on social media, I hear, "Oh, you must be a lib or you must be a MAGA." I'm Canadian. I am neither of those! But as Canadians, many of our resources and influences are from the South. We can't help but be engaged.) 

I'm on this investigative journey into the decline in the church as much as anyone. I don't have the answers. I can only report what I've lived or read about. 


The Future of Christiandom




The authors of the book I’m reading, which inspired this blog, have interviewed several individuals who are or have been in their own Christian wilderness—questioning their faith or allegiances after becoming aware of issues that don’t quite sit right with them. This kind of soul-searching is happening everywhere. Many moms my age have seen their children enter a similar wilderness, especially after experiencing higher education and encountering people from very different backgrounds and lifestyle choices.

My purpose in discussing this topic is not to align with dissenters who seek to dismantle Christendom. Rather, it’s to raise awareness of what’s happening and explore ways to move forward.



Comments